Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First Taste of Hinduism (among many other things)

5/13

And when you pray, do not keep babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words Matthew 6:7


Good news: I have much to report

Bad news: I do not have much energy to actually report.

 

My first full day in India was full. Much happened. The most striking part of the day was my visit to the Hanuman, the oldest Hindu temple in New Delhi. This visit stands, and is likely to remain, among the most bizarre experiences of my life. I have seen nothing like this before today.

            In the American Judeo-Christian mindset there is little tangibility to the idea of idol worship. That is, when we speak of this sin, it largely in respect to values like status, success, popularity, etc. There is also an association of idol worship to the material objects that represent these values (ie: money, cars, relationships). But today I saw thousands following a true pagan religion bowing, prostrating, sacrificing to, and kissing actual man-made gods.

            Thousands of people crowded this one temple, each vying for their opportunity to worship the various gods in the area. As they approached, they muttered the same prayers, one after the other. Getting closer, these devoted followers kissed the steps and walls leading to the gods before finally prostrating themselves before the god. After this, they approached the god’s resting place and presented their food offering to the gods. This is the manifestation of what Paul describes in as "food sacrificed to idols" (1 Corinthians 8). Upon this they rang countless gongs hanging from the ceiling, creating a competitive harmony to the noisy mutterings of the worshippers. What a sight: to see such devotion, yet such emptiness.

            My response? Disturbance, sadness, and conviction. This was easily one of the darkest situations I had ever encountered. To not only witness, but to be immersed in such worship is hard on the soul. To look into the “eyes” of these gods, felt as if I was truly staring the Enemy in the face. This temple did not feel empty, void of a supernatural presence. I felt a tremendous presence within those walls. However, it shared no qualities with the presence of the God that I worship.

            Why conviction? Hinduism, along with the overall culture and dynamic of India, is full of confusion, hopelessness, and subjection. Ultimately, however, the follower is just that: a follower. I did not understand the gravity of this particular concept until this experience. Observing the devotion of these people, however misplaced, was like looking at myself in a mirror, noticing the devotion lacking in my own relationship with Jesus Christ, the ultimate source of clarity, hope, and love. 

            I have come to the conclusion that every man is born with not only the innate desire, but need to worship. What I saw today for thirty minutes occurs every day, all day. What I saw today was ritualistic, and the lack of sincerity was obvious, as the thousands hurried in and out of the temple in order to quickly get on with their life. Nonetheless, every day every person feels the need to worship. The hope lies in the question: What would follow if they accepted Truth?


This is a short list of more I have to talk about. Please ask me in the future about these, I would love to tell the stories, just not tonight.

- encountering a leper

-Sikhism, its contrast to its neighbors, and close proximity with Truth

-India Gate

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Zack,

Good morning. I am so excited about your blog. I could not access it though. Only read the two titles. Did you write more than the two titles. I am praying for you and miss you so much. Keep writing, smiling,praying and shining the light.

love , mom

Ellis said...

Zack:

I'm praying for you. I know that God is going to grow and stretch you as he uses you for HIS honor and glory! Soak it all in and learn as much as you can from Dr. W. He is a brilliant man.

blessings,
ellis

Unknown said...

Great point about the need to worship. Your sentiment echos Ecclesiastes 3:11 - ...He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Great word Fatty, keep them coming. Emma misses you.

jimbo said...

That's some intense stuff. Good word for sure, and yeah keep em coming, i'll reading through every Saturday from here on out, but you'll be sure to hear from me then! Much love to you broseph! Trust in the Lord and his mighty hand. I went and saw Narnia last night at midnight (big surprise I know) and I was wishing I had a giant all powerful lion for a friend that could kill goblins and demons and stuff. And then I realized that I already do, and so do you. Random, but I thought it was ballersauce. Later dude!