Thursday, May 15, 2008

Making Friends is Easy

Today, 60 children under the age of 10 came to the house I am staying at and we took them to a park in Delhi.I kept thinking how ridiculous it was that all these children were in one living room. I laughed thinking about this occurring in my own home – Sylvia would flip!!

(Before I go on let me say this: Being American in a foreign country is extremely advantageous. Indians are drawn to Americans. I just know how to take advantage of their interest.)

The park was full of Kodak moments. Lots of holding hands with children, pushing them on swings, see-sawing with them, etc. While this was great, the greatest part of my day occurred when one of the children’s older brother (18 years old) called me over to him. We started to talking and after a while he started opening up to me the problems of his country and of his life. He also revealed that he was Hindu. He wanted nothing more than to escape the world he was currently living in. He shared that he fantasized about life in Australia or London. Shortly thereafter, his friends joined us and the 5 of us hung out talking for the next 3 hours. They begged to buy me a bracelet with my name on it so that I would never forget them. I never will.

On a different note, our taxi cab driver was hit by motorcycle today. He was crossing the street, on his cell phone, not paying attention to the traffic, and suddenly I heard a horn and looked up to see the motorcycle hit the man and his body immediately thrown upwards and upside-down. Welcome to India.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Zack: I am so excited for you. I think this will be my first interaction with a blog. I think it will be well worth it. I have loved reading about you experience. I love the way you write and tell stories. This only makes me miss you more. I am praying for you. I hope you regain your energy quickly. I want to know more about your learning... as in why your in India. But, only if you have energy. Over and out my love. Chi

Unknown said...

Oh Zackaaaaaarrrrrrrry Charles....

Oh Happy Day!!! I read the blogs and love them.

I can just see your face and eyes as you tell all about this. What an amazing God we know love and serve to have given you this great privilege.

Shame on you for telling me you were being picked up , everything was great and I believe I asked"Zack do you have peace?" And you could not have been telling the truth when you said "Oh yes everything is great!"
Guess you were wise to not tell me the truth...

All is good at home.....looks like house is going through.... new chapter indeed!

Love you sooooo much!!!!!! Started one of the new books and love the tape you gave me as well.

Praying for you!

love and hugs.....muther

dadthedork said...

snack attack,

i love you and so darn proud of you. you write excellently and thoroughly enjoy hearing how "your" good money is being put to good use. sounds like you are having a great experience. Can't wait to see your face as you share these with us. you are so blessed to ahve these opportunities...take advantage and enjoy. God is working a great work in you, and He will say, Good and faithful servant...

i love you, and can't wait to see you...

dadthedork