Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Indians are the Best Drivers

5/12

            I lied to my parents tonight. After a 14-hour flight from Newark to New Delhi I called them and one of the first questions they asked was “Is someone there to get you?” Naturally I replied in the affirmative. In actuality, there had been a miscommunication with my hosts, leaving me to fend for myself at the airport. So there I was alone, much less a foreigner, standing in front of the Delhi Airport flagging down a taxi to take me to my destination. Immediately I was bombarded by five or six taxi drivers. One issue: they only knew enough English to ask “Taxi?” And I only had a piece of paper with an address on it. I could only hope for the best.

            One hour later, I arrived at my destination. Driving in India proved to be one of the most interesting experiences of my life. The stripes painted on the asphalt served no purpose except decoration. The street signs and lights were mere suggestions. The majority of the ride I could have touched the cars on either side of me. Let me briefly explain why I believe that Indians are the best drivers in the world. Although there was one incident where we slightly bumped into and scraped a car next to us; my driver, along with every other driver, had complete control over his own vehicle. It was very much like a roller coaster: all thrill but I knew (or hoped) my destination was in view.

 

This was my first hour in India.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have so much in common with the Indians:) Love you!
ittybittbitesizegatorsister