Saturday, June 14, 2008

DDD


Again, I have the luxury of living in the future. Last time I took advantage of this I honored my mother on her birthday, and now, less than two weeks later, I will do the same for my dad on Father's Day.

Let me start by saying there is no one like him. He is the most thoughtful, loving, sensitive, hard-working, and cheesy person I know.

You will hard-pressed to find someone with the same humor as my dad. I can’t decide if that is a good thing or bad thing. I will say this, he loves laughter. Spending time with him, you will quickly find that he also loves life. His overall countenance, attitude, and even humor (cheesy as it can be at times) always encourages others to do the same.

The one thing that I think defines him is his ability to give. I can’t think of a time when my dad put his own interest before the interest of those he loves and cares for. His is truly a life marked by service. If you were to take a quick glimpse at a typical week in his life, you will see over and over again selfless devotion to others.

From this devotion comes his ministry. I am convinced that my dad is not a CPA. I don’t think people go to him because he is a great accountant. I think the real reason he has such a successful practice is because he takes on the role of a counselor and friend. I can’t tell you how many stories I have heard of my dad coming home from work excited about the amazing things God has done that day. There is something about the idea about God’s presence at an accounting firm that seems a bit counterintuitive, but knowing that someone like my dad is involved, you know that the Spirit is invited on a daily basis.

He also spends the better part of his “free time” leading others into a deeper relationship with God through BSF and our church, or preparing and studying to do so. He has left an amazing impact on the community he is a part of. This impact has a direct relationship with his love for the Lord, and his willingness to have God work through him. When I return home, people often approach me and tell me what God has done in their life through my father.

In a world that is filled with stories of negligent fathers and broken households, I am incredibly blessed to have such a devoted and loving father. He is a wonderful confidant, and I trust him more than any person I know. I have never had a moment when I thought I did not have the support of my father. If there is someone who has always been available and ready to back me in any situation or circumstance, it is my him. He knows more about me than anybody in the entire world. I am jealous of his wisdom, but also incredibly thankful for it. He is the wise counsel I seek when I am in doubt. And I can rely on his advice because it is grounded in the word of God. As a father, he realizes his role in my life. He has done everything to point me to my Heavenly Father.

In the limited amount of years I have been alive, I am incredibly fortunate and thankful to be have been under the influence of such a wonderful man of God. I know God has used the unique and incredible relationship I have with my dad to mold me into the person I am. 

1 comment:

gail ewing said...

Zack,

Well said..We are so blessed to have Jack C. aka superman as our Man...even though he is the DDD.Haha but just think if not for dad being your dad you would have less corny jokes to tell..and I know you use the same ones you make fun of....I have heard you..you would not be a brick layer...a construction worker...errand boy...yard boy...go cart racer....lover of cars(oh my!!!the cars we have seen Haha on car lots and ebay....and the amazing man of God you are.

Yesterday we attended Buds funeral in Plano and heard an amazing testimony from all his kids and Neal Jeffreys from Prestonwood and it was AMAZING! The awesome thing is that Bud was such a role model to dad during our YOUNG PARENT years and you descrbed your dad today as Bud was honored and described yesterday.

To God be the Glory......

Can't wait till Wednesday..get ready for a great time full of ......Hmmmmmjust wait and see...

Love love love love you!!!!

Waiting for a ZACKATTACKHUG

MOM