Saturday, June 7, 2008

Dr. Mujib

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” – John 14:6

Today was a great day. But before I tell you about it allow me to tell you something that has been happening to me in the past week and half or so. My going to the orphanage produced a subtle change in my Indian experience.

Leading up to the orphanage I had been observing India. That week, I quit observing. I started interacting with India.

Today I had three meaningful interactions and I will tell you briefly about one.

Dr. Mujib is a Muslim scholar who loves Dr. Thom and Americans. He has been a constant presence since I have been here. Him and I have a special bond though. He received his PhD from the University of Texas, and therefore loves Texans. He loves literature and he gave me one of his favorite books a few days ago to read so that we can discuss it.

Today I ran into him and he invited me to dinner. Dr. Mujib is a smart man, but can be a little difficult to have a conversation with. He likes to hear his own voice and welcomes questions but rarely asks any of his own. It is common practice for him to interrupt someone, introducing a completely new subject. I was a little surprised by his invitation, considering I had never had time alone with him. Needles to say, I was curious how this would turn out. 

In our conversation he asked what I thought of the Taj Mahal when I visited. I asked if he wanted to see a few pictures I had taken while I was there. When he reached the end of  the pictures I had taken of the Taj, he did not stop looking at the pictures. He continued through the pictures I had taken of India thus far, and began to gain a larger scope of my experience in India. When he reached the pictures of the slums I had visited, he stopped looking, and made eye contact with me. 

He allowed a nervous laugh asking, “So what do you think about your experience in India so far? Pretty poor, huh?” I knew from his tone that he was a bit ashamed of his country and its current situation. 

I thought for a brief moment about his question, realizing that this was his way of apologizing on behalf of India. I gave him a simple answer. I responded with a small smile and replied, “Dr. Mujib, you know I am a Christian. Because of this, I believe India needs Jesus.”

I expected an answer from him. After all, I was talking to Dr. Mujib. If nothing else, I thought certainly he would change the subject. Instead with a quizzical look, he maintained eye contact and silence. This felt a bit peculiar, but I decided to proceed, expanding shortly on my thought process.

I explained that I agreed with him, India is a poor country. But I said that poverty was not the only issue concerning India. Among the many “problems” facing India, whether social, economic, political, or spiritual the answer is Jesus. I noted that India places a large emphasis on religion, that everyone is seeking many gods, but that I had found the Most High God, and my prayer was for India to do the same.

For the first time in my month long relationship with Dr. Mujib, he allowed me to communicate a complete thought with his full attention and without interruption. And when I finished this last sentence, we sat for about 15 seconds in silence before conversation began again.

I walked away from the table thanking God because he not only gave me a message, but also a recipient. I learned that when it comes to my personal life, experiences, and opinions Dr. Mujib will consider them with little weight. However, when it comes to the message of Jesus Christ he listens.

 

 

3 comments:

gail Ewing said...

Zack,

YOu have communicated and experienced a POWERFUL lesson and truth I needed to be reminded

Without HIM we truly are...our words , thoughts, actions, homes , country, relationships, ministry, job,absolutely nothing!!!!!!

How easily we fall back in to thinking we are really something...like we have anything to do really with r anything....when reallly we did not add one thing to our salvation or anything else we do that is eternal.

Loving every word I hear from you....
well...actually straight from the Mind of CHRIST! WOW

love you...

captivated,

mpm

the Chans said...

Wow Zack - I am moved by your experience! Oh that all our conversations be seasoned with SALT and that we are always ready and prepared to give an answer at the Spirit's leading. May He open many other doors of opportunity for you to sow and possibly reap for His glory while there and beyond.
I am learning from you.
Kristi

Justine said...

Zack...
This is a beautiful story, and brought joy to my heart to hear it :)
I am so glad you got this opportunity and the may others that you have and have not blogged about!!!